Thursday, September 11, 2008

Batman: Gotham Knight 2-Disc Special Edition

Two days ago I received the Batman: Gotham Knight Special Edition. I've
mentioned it before; as you may know, it's this animatrix-like collection of
short anime stories based on & inspired by the recent Batman movies.

For some reason I didn't seem able to get hold of the 2-disc edition here in
the Old Continent (tm), so I had no choice but to order it from an American
site.

But I figured it was worth it, and I have to say, I wasn't disappointed.
Having, erh, do*COUGH*wnloaded the game before, I wanted it and I wanted to
get me the extras.

IMO they were worth it. One is an exploration of both Batman himself and the
eccentric villains that populate Gotham city. Which I really liked. Nothing
really earth-shattering, I suppose, but I did like it enough to watch it
twice in a row. I guess that means something. :-)

Then there was a documentary on Bob Kane, who apparently was quite a
character in his own right.

On top of that, there was an interesting selection of episodes from the
Batman animated series from the 90's. One of them in particular was
interesting in that it featured some kids talking about how they knew/saw
Batman, an idea that was revisited in one of the actual anime episodes, but
the way it was done was nice: in one kid's version, Batman, Robin and the
villains looked like they did in the 60's series intro, and with the story
reflecting the campy wackiness of that series.

Another part was way cool in that they actually did what was basically an
animated version of a chapter from Frank Miller's The Dark Knight Returns"
in which Batman takes on some gang, and its leader, all done in the drawing
style that was used in the actual graphic novel. Great stuff!

That's basically it. Highly recommended!

No comments: