Thursday, September 20, 2007

Things to dislike in computer and video games

I haven't actually blamed stuff in a while.

How about this one? FPS and/or action games featuring jumping puzzles!

I hate jumping puzzles. You know the sort. You have this action game, maybe a first person shooter, and since somehow fighting for your life and defeating your enemies isn't enough, you suddenly are tested at how good your reflexes are, when you have to make your way across some obstacle or series of obstacles, jump over bottomless pits, or whatever. And if you miss, it's reloading time.

What great fun!

No?

No, I didn't think so either.

This kind of game challenge originated in so-called platform games such as the Mario Bros. games and others such as Sonic The Hedgehog and its sequels and spinoffs. And in my opinion, that is where they should stay. Those games are all about that sort of challenge - reflexes, timing, that sort of thing. I'm not interested in that type of game, so it really is annoying if I have to deal with it in an FPS, or adventure, or whatever.

I think it's poor game design, or a misguided attempt to cater to all tastes.

1 comment:

Walker Ferox said...

What's fun is jumping when you can't fully look, I dunno...down.

I agree. FPS + Jumping Puzzles ≠ Fun.